- 2 rows of 8 spare ribs
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 800g canned crushed tomatoes
- 1 thinly sliced onion
- 3 garlic cloves
- 50g Sirop de Liège
- 4 tablespoons Xérès vinegar
- 3 tablespoons Worcestershire sauce
- 1 tablespoons tomato puree
- 2 teaspoons Chinese five-spice powder
- 1 teaspoon cumin powder
- Salt, freshly ground pepper
- Sauce: heat the oil in a frying pan and add the onion.
- Gently brown the onion and then mix in the other ingredients.
- Bring to a boil, then let simmer over a gentle fire for about 30 minutes.
- Whisk from time to time to keep your sauce from sticking.
- Cook the spare ribs on a barbecue or in the oven for about 15 minutes, depending on how thick your ribs are.
- During cooking time, sprinkle barbecue sauce over your ribs until it caramelises.
- Serve with long grain rice and cumin-flavoured tomato sauce.